- Vehicles in Arma 2 come in unsurpassed numbers and variety: civilian cars and boats, military cars and trucks, wheeled and tracked armored personnel carriers, tanks or aircraft; all of them created with strict attention to detail. Every vehicle in the game can be controlled by both players and AI alike and provides features authentic to each vehicle.
- A unique simulation of various types of vehicles.
- Various in-vehicle roles: commander, driver, gunner, assistant gunner.
- Accurate weaponry, including optics, tracer rounds and effects.
- Speed differs according to type of surface.
- Vehicles differ in many aspects according to their real-life specifications (e.g. speed, sturdiness, fuel capacity).
- Dust effects when driving over certain surfaces, rotor downwash effects for helicopters and VTOL aircraft.
- Destructible wheels and limited partial destruction.
- Destroyed vehicles turn into wrecks, explode appropriately according to the amount of fuel and ammunition they contain.
- Burning and secondary explosions of wrecks.
- Some vehicles feature simple defensive countermeasures.
- Virtual Heads-Up Display in several aircraft.
Tracked vehicles are armed with powerful long-range cannons, machineguns and guided rockets. They provide tactical superiority in ground combat and are perfect for penetrating enemy defenses. ARMA 2 features main battle tanks and APCs from the Cold-War era through to the most recent, modern designs.
No military simulator is complete without a hangar full of planes for the gamer to fly around in! Most fixed-wing aircraft in the game are state-of-the art jet fighters or attack planes, armed with cannons, laser-guided bombs, iron bombs, unguided rockets and guided missiles. Some planes are capable of Vertical Take-Off and Landing (VTOL).
Civilians prefer to use the sturdy and easy to maintain Eastern European make car that they're familiar with, whether it's their personal family car, or the wood-hauling truck they use for work. Sadly due to the horrible conditions of the local roads most cars native to Chernarus are in poor condition.